NON-recursive descent expression parsing

Marlin Prowell <>
Thu, 4 Nov 1993 18:41:16 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Transparent recursive descent (1993-11-01)
NON-recursive descent expression parsing (Marlin Prowell) (1993-11-04)
Re: NON-recursive descent expression parsing (1993-11-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Marlin Prowell <>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1993 18:41:16 GMT

Doug Merritt ( recently posted a expression parser that
has just two core functions. Dave Hanson describes this same scheme in
"Compact Recursive-descent Parsing of Expressions", Software - Practice
and Experience, December 1985. The article includes the algorithm
written in C. BTW, this technique is used in lcc.

I remember reading another article, in response to Dave Hanson's
article, that described a technique for parsing expressions and
building an AST without using recursive descent. As I recall, it
rotated nodes in the tree, but I cannot find this article. Does anyone
have a reference?