Re: References to object oriented design of compilers?

bertrand@eiffel.com (Bertrand Meyer.)
Tue, 26 Oct 1993 16:18:32 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
References to object oriented design of compilers? newton@cs.utexas.edu (1993-10-16)
Re: References to object oriented design of compilers? jones%pyrite@uunet.UU.NET (1993-10-18)
Re: References to object oriented design of compilers? johnson@cs.uiuc.edu (1993-10-19)
Re: References to object oriented design of compilers? johno@lucinda.lat.oz.au (1993-10-22)
Re: References to object oriented design of compilers? wjw@eb.ele.tue.nl (1993-10-25)
Re: References to object oriented design of compilers? johnson@cs.uiuc.edu (1993-10-26)
Re: References to object oriented design of compilers? bertrand@eiffel.com (1993-10-26)
Re: References to object oriented design of compilers? rlsitav@actcom.co.il (1993-10-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: bertrand@eiffel.com (Bertrand Meyer.)
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1993 16:18:32 GMT

Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@eb.ele.tue.nl>:
> Does anybody know of any publications on the subject of object-oriented
> design applied to compilers?

>From johnson@cs.uiuc.edu (Ralph Johnson):
> The idea that every rule in the abstract syntax becomes a class is a
> classic one, but doesn't seem to be documented anywhere.

The Eiffel Parsing library, also known more concisely as EiffelParse,
applies this idea throughout. An early article describing the concepts is

The Eiffel Object-Oriented Parsing Library
Philip Hucklesby, Bertrand Meyer
Proceedings of TOOLS '89, SOL, Paris, 1989
Pages 501-508.

The library and its concepts are described in detail in ``Eiffel: The
Libraries'', the reference manual for the ISE Eiffel 2.3 libraries (report
TR-EI-7/LI, Interactive Software Engineering Inc., first published 1986,
latest revision 1992). A forthcoming book, entitled

Reusable Software: The Base Object-Oriented Component Libraries
Prentice Hall (early 1994)

contains a revised and improved description.

A paper on the use of EiffelParse and improvements to it, by P. Grape and
Kim Walden from ENEA (Sweden) was presented at the ACM conference on
Eiffel in Darmstadt (Germany) in May 1992. The paper is not in the
proceedings, however; if a readily available reference can be found I (or
the authors) will publish it.