Modula-2* Environment paper (updated version) available by FTP (Ernst A. Heinz)
Thu, 21 Oct 1993 15:43:38 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Modula-2* Environment paper (updated version) available by FTP (1993-10-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (Ernst A. Heinz)
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1993 15:43:38 GMT

For all interested folks we have now made the final version of our
MPPM'93 paper publicly available by anonymous ftp. The title of the
paper reads as follows:

"The Modula-2* Environment for Parallel Programming"
(by S.U. Haenssgen, E.A. Heinz, P. Lukowicz, M. Philippsen, and W.F. Tichy).

To retrieve PostScript or compressed Postscript versions of the paper
please connect to [] by anonymous ftp.
There, the directory pub/m2s contains the corresponding files named and

-rw-r----- 1 ftp ftp 557329 Oct 21 15:27
-rw-r----- 1 ftp ftp 135382 Oct 21 15:27

Don't forget to use binary mode when retrieving the compressed
PostScript versions! Please send us a short email containing your full
name and address plus affiliation if you retrieve any of the above.

For your information we include the abstract of our MPPM'93 paper below.

This paper presents a portable parallel programming environment for
Modula-2*, an explicitly parallel machine-independent extension of
Modula-2. Modula-2* offers synchronous and asynchronous parallelism, a
global single address space, and automatic data and process distribution.
The Modula-2* system consists of a compiler, a debugger, a
cross-architecture make, graphical X Windows control panel, runtime
systems for different machines, and sets of scalable parallel libraries.
The existing implementation targets the MasPar MP series of massively
parallel processors (SIMD), the KSR-1 parallel computer (MIMD),
heterogeneous LANs of workstations (MIMD), and single workstations (SISD).

The paper describes the important components of the Modula-2* environment
and discusses selected implementation issues. We focus on how we achieve
a high degree of portability for our system, while at the same time
ensuring efficiency.

In case of any questions or problems, please don't hesitate to contact us