Re: lcc intel backend? compile time?

rds95@csc.albany.edu (Robert Seals)
Wed, 13 Oct 1993 02:50:04 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Code quality drw@zermelo.mit.edu (1993-01-06)
Re: Code quality davidm@questor.rational.com (1993-01-06)
Re: lcc intel backend? compile time? rds95@csc.albany.edu (1993-10-13)
Re: lcc intel backend? compile time? graham@pact.srf.ac.uk (1993-10-13)
Re: lcc intel backend? compile time? cliffc@rice.edu (1993-10-13)
Re: lcc intel backend? compile time? rds95@csc.albany.edu (1993-10-13)
Re: lcc intel backend? compile time? pardo@cs.washington.edu (1993-10-20)
Re: lcc intel backend? compile time? henry@zoo.toronto.edu (1993-10-20)
Re: lcc intel backend? compile time? tchannon@black.demon.co.uk (1993-10-21)
Re: lcc intel backend? compile time? henry@zoo.toronto.edu (1993-10-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: rds95@csc.albany.edu (Robert Seals)
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1993 02:50:04 GMT

rds95@csc.albany.edu (Robert Seals) writes:
>This has been the conventional wisdom for at least as long as I can
>remember (so I'm young). But frankly, I've never had undue difficulty with
>the compile time of small-to-medium programs ...

OK. Imagine compiling GCC with GCC on a 386 16MHz Linux system with 3MB of
main memory. Then imagine doing that, and a few other things as well. Then
imagine that you have limited disk space where every 100k counts.

This is not a contrived example. I know people running Linux on systems
with 2-4MB, and with 60MB of less of hard disk. Lcc would probably make a
big difference to such people (though I can't prove it).

I'm very much looking forward to reading the book on lcc.