Re: Help finding compiler research?

preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (Preston Briggs)
Sat, 28 Aug 1993 16:52:37 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Help finding compiler research? operjfk@hydra.Rose-Hulman.Edu (1993-08-23)
Re: Help finding compiler research? amn@ubik.demon.co.uk (1993-08-28)
Re: Help finding compiler research? preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1993-08-28)
Re: Help finding compiler research? legrady@ug.cs.dal.ca (1993-08-30)
Re: Help finding compiler research? brueni@csgrad.cs.vt.edu (1993-09-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (Preston Briggs)
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1993 16:52:37 GMT

operjfk@hydra.Rose-Hulman.Edu writes:
>As a technique for selecting a graduate school, I'm trying to locate papers
>on current research in programming language design and implementation.

Good start.

>Do I have to leaf through every issue of SIGPLAN, every POPL conference
>proceeding, and every computer publication in general to find articles on
>particular topics? Or are there indexes (sorted by subject) to computer
>publications?

I don't know of indices. Old proceedings are a great resource.
Look at POPL, PLDI, the Symposium on Lisp and Functional Programming,
and maybe OOPSLA. For journals, look at TOPLAS and LOPLAS.
SIGPLAN Notices is less useful, I think.

>(1) How do I find current research on a particular topic

As above. Additionally, talk to your professors. Make an appointment
with each (or the ones you respect) for 1/2 hour and ask 'em about
people and programs that might suit your interests. Everyone likes
being asked for their opinion!

>(2) In my case, where can I find papers on
> (a) implementing compilers in hardware,

I don't think anyone's pursuing this.
Usually we like compilers to be software, so we can fix bugs.

> (b) implementing type inference (a la SML)

POPL, TOPLAS, Symposium on Lisp and Functional Programming

> (c) hardware description language systems

A little shows up in PLDI. Otherwise, I'm not sure.

>(3) What graduate schools are doing interesting things with compilers?
> (I know of some good programs, but I want to know this group's opinion.)

It seems like I do this list every month, and I always leave off
someone important. I apologize in advance!
In no order, expect as they leap to mind,

Rice
Stanford
U of Washington
U of Illinois