Graph drawing via e-mail

north@research.att.com
Fri, 27 Aug 1993 16:45:11 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
looking for X-windows flow graph display tool mew@lems.brown.edu (1993-08-12)
Re: looking for X-windows flow graph display tool hagerman@ece.cmu.edu (1993-08-15)
Graph drawing via e-mail north@research.att.com (1993-08-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: north@research.att.com
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1993 16:45:11 GMT

We appreciated the recent article here that mentioned using 'dag' to lay out
flow graphs. 'dag' now has a successor, 'dot' ("Dag of Tomorrow") with some
improved layout algorithms and new layout features. We have made these tools
available as an experimental service via Internet mail. If you mail a graph
file to drawdag@toucan.research.att.com, the server mails back a PostScript
file of the layout as a reply. If you would like to try this, ftp to
research.att.com and look in dist/drawdag. "mail_server" contains further
instructions and "dotdoc.ps.Z" is a user's guide. We also have written an
interactive, programmable graph editor that runs as an X windows front end to
dot. While this doesn't run over Internet mail, we would consider making
the software available to a few outside academic groups, if there were
applications or research of mutual interest.

Stephen North, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill NJ, north@research.att.com