Re: Managing tokens instead of code

geoff@flash.bellcore.com (Geoffrey Clemm)
Wed, 11 Aug 1993 02:35:00 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Managing tokens instead of code tcubed@genesis.MCS.COM (1993-08-08)
Re: Managing tokens instead of code geoff@flash.bellcore.com (1993-08-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: geoff@flash.bellcore.com (Geoffrey Clemm)
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1993 02:35:00 GMT

tcubed@genesis.MCS.COM (James Hanlon) writes:
A colleague bounced an idea off me: code control and versioning
      would be conceptually simpler at the token level, as opposed to the
      traditional LOC level. Because tokens are text, too, the old
      control/versioning tools work just fine--one must merely compile to the
      token level, then stop.

Why would code control and versioning be conceptually simpler at the
token level ? As John mentioned, it might be useful for optimizing
incremental recompilation, but that does not involve any "conceptual
simplification".

Cheers,

Geoff
--
geoff@bellcore.com
[I suppose it might help if people are inclined to fiddle with