Re: Postscript as a target language?

norman@flaubert.bellcore.com (Norman Ramsey)
Tue, 10 Aug 1993 18:17:12 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Postscript as a target language? al@nmt.edu (1993-08-08)
Re: Postscript as a target language? henry@zoo.toronto.edu (1993-08-09)
Re: Postscript as a target language? zstern@adobe.com (1993-08-09)
Re: Postscript as a target language? cjmchale@dsg.cs.tcd.ie (1993-08-09)
Re: Postscript as a target language? donawa@bluebeard.cs.mcgill.ca (Chris DONAWA) (1993-08-09)
Re: Postscript as a target language? norman@flaubert.bellcore.com (1993-08-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: norman@flaubert.bellcore.com (Norman Ramsey)
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1993 18:17:12 GMT

al@nmt.edu (Al Stavely) writes:
>[re using postscript as the target language in a compilers course]
>Is this a completely silly idea? Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or
>any experiences to share?

It's not a completely silly idea. I used similar technology in my
dissertation project, a retargetable debugger. The debugger evaluated
expressions by using a C compiler with a PostScript back end. When the
user typed an expresssion, the debugger would hand it to the compiler and
get back PostScript, which it could interpret. Interpreted code could
call compiled code in the target address space. Simulating goto in
PostScript was a little tricky. The details are in my dissertation,
ftp-able from ftp.cs.princeton.edu:reports/1992/403.ps.Z.

Norman Ramsey