request for references on optimization of syntax trees

Matt Melchert <MATT@waikato.ac.nz>
Tue, 10 Aug 1993 01:06:00 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
request for references on optimization of syntax trees MATT@waikato.ac.nz (Matt Melchert) (1993-08-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Matt Melchert <MATT@waikato.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1993 01:06:00 GMT

Hi all, I am looking for references on optimization techniques based on a
syntax tree intermediate representation. Any pointers would be
appreciated.

Also, I heard once of a quote from John Backus, to the effect that
parallel programming was being held back by the languages used trying to
adapt traditional sequential constructs to a parallel environment, which
doesn't work very well. He then advocates functional languages as a
better alternative. I'd also appreciate a reference to that quote if
anyone knows it.

Thanks,

Matt Melchert
University of Waikato