Re: Ph.D programs

preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (Preston Briggs)
Mon, 9 Aug 1993 13:56:16 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Ph.D programs DCHAVARR%UCRVM2@uga.cc.uga.edu (Daniel Chavarria) (1993-08-09)
Re: Ph.D programs preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1993-08-09)
Re: Ph.D programs masticol@scr.siemens.com (1993-08-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (Preston Briggs)
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1993 13:56:16 GMT

Daniel Chavarria <DCHAVARR%UCRVM2@uga.cc.uga.edu> writes:
> I'm a senior computer science student at the University of Costa Rica.
>I am very interested in pursuing graduate studies at the Ph.D level in
>compiler construction and computer architecture.

I'd look at recent journals and conference proceedings to get a feeling
for who's doing interesting work in the field. Check the bibliographies
-- they'll tend to show you who's respected and what conferences and
journals are respected.

In general, I recommend that you concentrate on finding the advisor you
want rather than worrying too much about the school. A great school won't
be useful if there's no one there to work with. That said, schools you
might look at include

Rice
Stanford
U of Illinois
U of Washington
MIT
Cornell
CMU
Georgia Tech
U of Virginia
U of Wisconson
Berkeley
Cal Tech

They're not listed in any particular order and I've certainly missed a
few. Some are oriented more towards architecture or compilers, but
you get the idea.

Preston Briggs