Modula-2* Environment paper available by anonymous ftp (Ernst A. Heinz)
Mon, 9 Aug 1993 11:47:09 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Modula-2* Environment paper available by anonymous ftp (1993-08-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (Ernst A. Heinz)
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1993 11:47:09 GMT

For all interested folks we have made a pre-print of our MPPM'93 paper
publicly available by anonymous ftp. The title of the paper reads as

"The Modula-2* Environment for Parallel Programming"
(by S.U. Haenssgen, E.A. Heinz, P. Lukowicz, M. Philippsen, and W.F. Tichy).

To retrieve PostScript or compressed Postscript versions of the paper
please connect to [] by anonymous ftp.
There, the directory pub/m2s contains the corresponding files named and

-rw-r----- 1 ftp ftp 503797 Aug 9 11:31
-rw-r----- 1 ftp ftp 125911 Aug 9 11:32

Don't forget to use binary mode when retrieving the compressed
PostScript versions! Please send us a short email containing your full
name and address plus affiliation if you retrieve any of the above.

For your information we include the abstract of our MPPM'93 paper below.

This paper presents a portable parallel programming environment for
Modula-2*, an explicitly parallel machine-independent extension of
Modula-2. Modula-2* offers synchronous and asynchronous parallelism, a
global single address space, and automatic data and process distribution.
The Modula-2* system consists of a compiler, a debugger, a
cross-architecture make, runtime systems for different machines, and a set
of scalable parallel libraries. Implementations exist for the MasPar MP
series of massively parallel processors (SIMD), the KSR-1 parallel
computer (MIMD), heterogeneous LANs of workstations (MIMD), and single
workstations (SISD).

The paper presents the important components of the Modula-2* environment
and discusses selected implementation issues. We focus on how we achieve
a high degree of portability for our system while at the same time
ensuring efficiency.

In case of any questions or problems, please don't hesitate to contact us