Re: textbook recommendations

sbloch@ms.uky.edu (Stephen Bloch)
Wed, 4 Aug 1993 19:07:59 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
textbook recommendations sbloch@ms.uky.edu (1993-08-03)
Re: textbook recommendations sbloch@ms.uky.edu (1993-08-04)
Re: textbook recommendations tfj@apusapus.demon.co.uk (1993-08-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: sbloch@ms.uky.edu (Stephen Bloch)
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1993 19:07:59 GMT

I've received a number of responses already, most of them recommending
the dragon book by Aho, Sethi, & Ullman. That was my first thought
too, but I'm teaching an undergraduate class, and I gather most of the
students don't have a lot of math background. So I suspect they'd be
intimidated (or perhaps "terrified") by the notation and formalism of
AS&U. I plan to put AS&U on reserve in the library as a supplemental
text, but make the main text something more accessible. Suggestions?

--
Stephen Bloch
sbloch@s.ms.uky.edu