Recommendation wanted: good book on data flow analysis +

Trevor Jenkins <tfj@apusapus.demon.co.uk>
Wed, 7 Jul 1993 20:28:50 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Recommendation wanted: good book on data flow analysis + optimisation cm@cavsys.demon.co.uk (1993-07-06)
Recommendation wanted: good book on data flow analysis + tfj@apusapus.demon.co.uk (Trevor Jenkins) (1993-07-07)
Re: Recommendation wanted: good book on data flow analysis + pd@complex.Eng.Sun.COM (1993-07-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Trevor Jenkins <tfj@apusapus.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1993 20:28:50 GMT

cm@cavsys.demon.co.uk writes:
> ...recommendations for books covering advanced optimisation strategies,
> data flow analysis, and related topics in detail.

You could try

@book{Hecht77,
author="Matthew S Hecht",
title="Flow Analysis of Computer Programs",
publisher="Elsevier North-Holland",
series="The Computer Science Library: Programming Language Series",
year="1977",
isbn="0-444-00210-3",
notes="VERY mathematical; if some of the exercises in ``The Art of Computer
Programming'' are rated M then the whole of this book ought to be rated
M^2"
}

> I am already familiar with standard texts such as Aho/Sethi/Ullman etc.

(From the references of the ``Red'' Dragon Book) you could also try

@book{MuchnickJones81,
author="S S Muchnick \and N D Jones",
title="Program Flow Analysis: Theory and Applications",
publisher="Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ",
year="1981",
notes="Sorry I dont have a copy of this book in my collection so can quote the
ISBN for. The opening chapter by Kennedy it particularly useful."}

@book{Arklametal82,
author="Patrica Arklam, David Cutler, {Roger Heinen, Jr} \and M Donald
MacLaren",
title="engineering a compiler: VAX-11 Code Generation and Optimisation",
publisher="Digital Press",
year=1982,
isbn="0-932376-19-3",
notes="Discussed the development of two production compilers (VAX PL/I-G
and VAX C) including discussions on object format and global optimisations.
Despite the year of publication the references are to the ``Green'' Dragon
Book rather than the ``Red'' one."
}
>[I don't know of any compiler texts significantly better on optimization than
>the now somewhat aged red dragon book, but would love to hear of some. -John]

Maybe the above three (which are of similar vintage) will fill in the gatps
for some people. :-)

Regards, Trevor.

Trevor Jenkins
134 Frankland Rd, Croxley Green, RICKMANSWORTH, WD3 3AU, England
email: tfj@apusapus.demon.co.uk phone: +44 (0)923 776436 radio: G6AJG
[Isn't there anything less than 15 years old? -John]