RE: Representation of grammars

David_Wheeler_P26179@email.mot.com
Thu, 1 Jul 1993 15:32:47 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
RE: Representation of grammars David_Wheeler_P26179@email.mot.com (1993-07-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: David_Wheeler_P26179@email.mot.com
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1993 15:32:47 GMT

Trevor Jenkins writes:

> I believe that there was a similar book by Frank Pagan which also
> considered two-level grammars but I don't have a copy of that book
> in my library.

The book is:
    Formal Specification of Programing Languages: A Panoramic Primer
    by Frank G. Pagan
    New Jersey, Prentice Hall 1981
    ISBN 0-13-329052-2
    QA76.7.P33 001.64'24

The book has a chapter (about 65 pages) which covers BNF, attribute grammars
and two-level grammars, then later goes into formal semantics covering
operational, denotational and axiomatic.

The book is littered with examples ALL of which cover two "toy" languages
called Pam and Eva.

The book is very good and readable, however Pagan himself notes that to get
the full flavor of how to use two-level grammars one should look at the
material done by van Wijngaarden:
          van Wijngaarden, A., et al.,
          Revised Report on the Algorithmic Language ALGOL 68.
          Berlin: Springer-Verlang, 1976

Dave Wheeler
Motorola, GEG
DAVID_WHEELER_P26179@email.mot.com