Representations of grammars

Trevor Jenkins <tfj@apusapus.demon.co.uk>
Mon, 28 Jun 1993 20:42:51 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Representations of grammars morrison@eng.auburn.edu (Kelly Morrison) (1993-06-25)
Re: Representations of grammars miles@minster.york.ac.uk (1993-06-26)
Re: Representations of grammars P.G.Hamer@bnr.co.uk (1993-06-28)
Re: Representations of grammars davidm@questor.rational.com (1993-06-28)
Representations of grammars tfj@apusapus.demon.co.uk (Trevor Jenkins) (1993-06-28)
Re: Representations of grammars carroll@bifur.cis.udel.edu (1993-06-29)
Re: Representations of grammars mickunas@mickunas.cs.uiuc.edu (1993-06-29)
Re: Representations of grammars macrakis@osf.org (1993-07-01)
Re: Representations of grammars nokie@ruacad.ac.runet.edu (1993-07-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Trevor Jenkins <tfj@apusapus.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1993 20:42:51 GMT

> I am trying to compose a list of representations (both textual and
> graphical) of grammars. ...

There is the van Wijngarden two-level grammars as ysed to define Algol-68.
The best text explaining the is

@book{Cleaveland77,
author="J Craig Cleaveland \and Robert C Uzgalis",
title="Grammars for Programming Languages",
publisher="Elsevier",
series="Computer Science Library: Programming Langauge Series",
isbn="0-444-00187-5; 0-444-00199-9 pbk",
notes="Described van Wijngarden grammars and defines a programming language
using that firmalism such that all the semantivs are expressed in the
grammar without having to resort to English. Also, considers other
formalisms including that used for Cobol and PL/I.",
year=1977}

I believe that there was a similar book by Frank Pagan which also
considered two-level grammars but I don't have a copy of that book in my
library.

Personally, I find that VWGs are easier to read that an equivalent BNF for
the same language. But them I did use Algol-68. :-)

Regards, Trevor.
--
Trevor Jenkins
134 Frankland Rd, Croxley Green, RICKMANSWORTH, WD3 3AU, England