Re: Representations of grammars

P.G.Hamer@bnr.co.uk (Peter Hamer)
Mon, 28 Jun 1993 13:16:38 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Representations of grammars morrison@eng.auburn.edu (Kelly Morrison) (1993-06-25)
Re: Representations of grammars miles@minster.york.ac.uk (1993-06-26)
Re: Representations of grammars P.G.Hamer@bnr.co.uk (1993-06-28)
Re: Representations of grammars davidm@questor.rational.com (1993-06-28)
Representations of grammars tfj@apusapus.demon.co.uk (Trevor Jenkins) (1993-06-28)
Re: Representations of grammars carroll@bifur.cis.udel.edu (1993-06-29)
Re: Representations of grammars mickunas@mickunas.cs.uiuc.edu (1993-06-29)
Re: Representations of grammars macrakis@osf.org (1993-07-01)
Re: Representations of grammars nokie@ruacad.ac.runet.edu (1993-07-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: P.G.Hamer@bnr.co.uk (Peter Hamer)
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1993 13:16:38 GMT

> I am trying to compose a list of representations (both textual and
>graphical) of grammars. So far, the only ones I have been able to find are:
>
>1. Backus-Naur Form (also Backus Normal Form).
> - created by John Backus; modified by Peter Naur.

I don't think that Peter Naur modified BNF, I understood that the acronym was
modified to reflect his role in their use; chair of the Algol 60 committee, on
which John Backus sat. [I believe that's correct. -John]

>2. The Cobol Notation.
> - created by the CODASYL Short-Range Subcommittee.

Is the notation used for PL/1 the same, or different?

>3. Syntax Diagrams.
> - created by Niklaus Wirth (?).

Quite a long time ago (10-15 yrs?) a special issue of Software Practice &
Experience was devoted to Per Brinch Hansen on the Edison language. The
discussion on how the language was specified was remarkably informative.
I think he said that specifying the language, to Peter Naur's
satisfaction, took longer than designing it and building the first
compiler! He used to be a syntax-diagram fan (might even have invented
them for concurrent Pascal?), but became a BNF convert when he realised
the importance of non-terminals when talking about a language.

Regards, Peter

BTW You should also look at the various extended BNFs. Typical reasons for
extension are: lists; thing-separated-lists (eg comma-separated lists);
constrained lists (zero or more, one or more, not more than ...); context
sensitivity.

PS You have not mentioned 2-level grammars; eg Van Wijngarden used for
Algol 68. Perhaps you are wise. :-)
[The 1976 PL/I standard uses a simple EBNF to define the concrete and
abstract syntax of the language. -John]