Re: Looking for backend timing info

chased@rbbb.Eng.Sun.COM (David Chase)
Fri, 4 Jun 1993 21:53:08 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Looking for backend timing info mnelson@bifur.cis.udel.edu (1993-06-04)
Re: Looking for backend timing info preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1993-06-04)
Re: Looking for backend timing info chased@rbbb.Eng.Sun.COM (1993-06-04)
Re: Looking for backend timing info pardo@cs.washington.edu (1993-06-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: chased@rbbb.Eng.Sun.COM (David Chase)
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1993 21:53:08 GMT

mnelson@bifur.cis.udel.edu (Mark Nelson) writes:
>I'm looking for hard data on the time costs of analysis and optimization
>in compiler back-ends. Has anyone instrumented a compiler back-end to
>extract this sort of information?

The answer is yes, this is an obvious thing to do before shipping a
compiler, but no, I cannot provide you the data. I can tell you that the
information you do get will be of dubious value, since the performance of
various optimizations varies widely based on things like who wrote the
code, the expected size of the input, and the implementation of underlying
data structures.

David Chase
Sun