Re: Cray-2 Fast Memory

jac@moonshine.llnl.gov (James A. Crotinger)
Mon, 31 May 1993 06:15:02 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Cray-2 Fast Memory delano@cs.berkeley.edu (1993-05-13)
Re: Cray-2 Fast Memory grout@sp90.csrd.uiuc.edu (1993-05-14)
Re: Cray-2 Fast Memory desj@ccr-p.ida.org (1993-05-26)
Re: Cray-2 Fast Memory jrbd@craycos.com (1993-05-26)
Re: Cray-2 Fast Memory desj@ccr-p.ida.org (1993-05-27)
Re: Cray-2 Fast Memory jac@moonshine.llnl.gov (1993-05-31)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.sys.super
From: jac@moonshine.llnl.gov (James A. Crotinger)
Date: Mon, 31 May 1993 06:15:02 GMT

desj@ccr-p.ida.org (David desJardins) writes:
> We have never had a real problem with running out of local memory (and I
> have never heard of anyone using the paging option), but then our workload
> generally consists of relatively small codes, a few thousand lines
> perhaps, rather than several-hundred-thousand-line behemoths.

    We have several codes on the NERSC Cray 2's that are always running
out of local memory. These codes employ a sophisticated runtime system
that provides an interpreter that has access to compiled variables and
subroutines. All of our stuff is compiled with -eP (the paging options)
but apparently some of the commercial libraries we link with are not.
This has gotten to be a real pain!

    Jim
--
James A. Crotinger Lawrence Livermore N'Lab
jac@moonshine.llnl.gov P.O. Box 808; L-630