Re: easy LALR code

salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (Daniel J. Salomon)
Tue, 25 May 1993 22:03:24 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
easy LALR code goer@midway.uchicago.edu (1993-05-11)
Re: easy LALR code lmcropa@noah.ericsson.se (1993-05-15)
Re: easy LALR code salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (1993-05-18)
Re: easy LALR code kjell@cse.ucsc.edu (1993-05-19)
Re: easy LALR code henry@zoo.toronto.edu (1993-05-20)
Re: easy LALR code salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (1993-05-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (Daniel J. Salomon)
Date: Tue, 25 May 1993 22:03:24 GMT

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
> The clearest description of how to build an LALR parser that I ever saw
> was the Aho&Johnson paper in the June 1974 ACM Computing Surveys, which
> tells you how yacc works.

We are not discussing the same algorithm. DeRemer's efficient algorithm
is reputed to run 5 to 8 times as fast as YACC's algorithm. So if you
want a description of an efficient algorithm you have to go to DeRemer's
paper, or to Tremblay and Sorenson's book. If you want a clear
description of the less efficient LALR algorithms, then there may be
better sources than Tremblay & Sorenson. In general Tremblay & Sorenson
tend to be somewhat verbose, but often offer a distinctively different
description from the Red Dragon, or the Red Dragon copy-cat books.
--
Dan Salomon -- salomon@cs.UManitoba.CA
                              Dept. of Computer Science / University of Manitoba