Re: books [was Re: Small C Compiler] (Tommy Thorn)
Tue, 18 May 1993 15:24:37 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Small C Compiler (1993-05-04)
Re: Small C Compiler (1993-05-17)
Re: books [was Re: Small C Compiler] (1993-05-18)
Book on optimization? (1993-05-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (Tommy Thorn)
Date: Tue, 18 May 1993 15:24:37 GMT (Preston Briggs) writes:
>While Holub's book covers front-end issues (the easy part of a compiler)
>in great detail, it's still very incomplete. Its coverage of optimization
>and back-end issues (the interesting parts of a compiler) is inadequate.

Exactly my feeling, but it goes for almost all of the compiler books I've
read, with the notable exception of ....

>The dragon book is still the only book that makes a good hack at these

My latest experience tells me that the chapter on code gen./optimization
(huge, though) is all but outdated. I had dig up articles to get to the
latest research. I *really* recommend doing this, maybe even for a under-
graduate course. Much of the stuff is easily accessible.

(We made an optimizing compiler using Carl McConnels CORTL on SSA form,
and register allocation Preston Brigss (more or less) in a
undergraduate course (~16000 lines of C). SSA and register alloc. can be
very hairy though.)