Optimizing sparse matrix operation

litsios@iis.ethz.ch (James Litsios)
Wed, 12 May 1993 09:55:07 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Optimizing sparse matrix operation litsios@iis.ethz.ch (1993-05-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: litsios@iis.ethz.ch (James Litsios)
Date: Wed, 12 May 1993 09:55:07 GMT

Say I am trying to compile a language which has sparse matrix and vector
types when I have an expression such as:

      for(...){
              y = A*B*x;
              }

where A and B are sparse matrices and x and y vectors. I suppose A and B
are constant over the loop, so I could evaluate y as A*(B*(x)) or
precompute C=A*B before the loop and compute y as C*x. Depending on the
sparcity structure of A and B, C will or not be sparse so this
optimization can or not be acceptable. Making this decision might also be
costly.

So my question is: has anybody worked on this type on problem and if so
where can I find some references.

James Litsios
--
James Litsios Phone: +41 1/256 49 50
Integrated Systems Laboratory Fax: +41 1/252 09 94