intermediate rep. which?

jason@convex.com (Jason L. Eckhardt)
Thu, 6 May 1993 20:53:47 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
intermediate rep. which? jason@convex.com (1993-05-06)
Re: intermediate rep. which? napi@cs.indiana.edu (Mohd Hanafiah Abdullah) (1993-05-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: jason@convex.com (Jason L. Eckhardt)
Date: Thu, 6 May 1993 20:53:47 GMT

I'm planning on writing a compiler for a subset of 'C'. I've thought out
most of the data structures that I will be using, etc. The problem I have
is deciding what to use as a intermediate representation. As my machine is
an i860, quadruples seem like a good idea. But a graphical rep such as
syntax trees or dags seems good also. Although I'm on an i860, I do want
the compiler to be easily retargetable.

Can anyone give me on idea on which representation would be better to use?
Will retargetablility, optimization, and other factors affect this
decision?

I've read most of the standard texts and still haven't been able to decide
which I should use.

thanks, jason
jason@bach.convex.com