Re: Dynamic Slices...

paco@ariel.cs.rice.edu (Paul Havlak)
Thu, 22 Apr 1993 12:44:03 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Dynamic Slices... uysal@cs.umd.edu (1993-04-21)
Re: Dynamic Slices... paco@ariel.cs.rice.edu (1993-04-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: paco@ariel.cs.rice.edu (Paul Havlak)
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1993 12:44:03 GMT

uysal@cs.umd.edu (Mustafa Uysal) writes:
> Are there any references dealing with the generation of dynamic slices?
>In particular, I'm interested in generation of a (backward) dynamic slice
>given the state of the program execution (ie. variables, program counter,
>etc).

        Vernon Lee did some work on dynamic slicing in his dissertation at
Rice University, advised by Hans Boehm. Vernon is now at Zycad
(spelling?) and Hans at Xerox PARC, but I don't have their addresses
handy.
        Vernon was working on constructive real arithmetic. The
representation allows computation to an arbitrary number of digits
(assuming sufficient computational resources). If, for some reason, one
needs more precision on a value already computed, one would like to
recompute on a backward dynamic slice rather than repeat the whole
program.
        I think this tech report is Vernon's dissertation:

Rice COMP TR91-159
Optimizing Programs Over the Constructive Reals,
Vernon A. Lee Jr., April 1991. ($15.00)

        A short presentation of the work is in

Vernon Lee and Hans Boehm, "Optimizing Programs over the
Construct Reals," SIGPLAN '90, pages 102-111.

Good luck,
Paul
--
Paul Havlak Dept. of Computer Science
Graduate Student Rice University, Houston TX 77251-1892