Re: Wanted: Regular Expression -> Finite Automata C code =-

Todd Hodes <tdh6t@onyx.cs.virginia.edu>
Wed, 14 Apr 1993 20:06:03 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Wanted: Regular Expression -> Finite Automata C code =- tdh6t@helga3.acc.virginia.edu (Todd Hodes) (1993-04-05)
Re: Wanted: Regular Expression -> Finite Automata C code =- megatest!plethorax!djones@uu2.psi.com (1993-04-09)
Re: Wanted: Regular Expression -> Finite Automata C code =- henry@zoo.toronto.edu (1993-04-12)
Re: Wanted: Regular Expression -> Finite Automata C code =- tdh6t@onyx.cs.virginia.edu (Todd Hodes) (1993-04-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Todd Hodes <tdh6t@onyx.cs.virginia.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1993 20:06:03 GMT

megatest!plethorax!djones@uu2.psi.com (Dave Jones) writes:

>Last month I posted an article pointing out two bugs in Sedgewick's Pascal
>algorithm for matching the NFA against an input string. The bug Todd
>reports is in the algorithm for building the NFA, in the "C" book, which I
>have never seen.

They are exactly identical.

>Helpful suggestion: Don't try to salvage the Sedgewick algorithms. See
>the New Dragon Book ... Both procedures are sketched out almost correctly
>in algorithms 3.3 and 3.4.

I just have the old one. From what I understand, it's treatment
of this topic is the same. There is no implementation in it, just as
there was no implementation in the book I was originally working from,
Hopcroft & Ullman's "Intro to Automata Theory, Languages, & Computation"
(or some such). This problem must have been implemented bunches of time
in the past, and is obviously tricky. Algorithm 3.3 is correct -- the
problem is parsing the string into it's constituents, which is equivalent
to parsing a CFG. I was hoping to find working code, rather than reinvent
the wheel.

Thanks for the pointer, although it wasn't exactly what I needed.

T.
--
Todd Hodes, hodes@cs.Virginia.edu