Re: regular expressions (bug report)

David Wright <wright@hicomb.hi.com>
Tue, 16 Mar 1993 17:57:06 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
regular expressions (bug-report) megatest!plethorax!djones@uu4.psi.com (1993-03-14)
Re: regular expressions (bug report) wright@hicomb.hi.com (David Wright) (1993-03-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: David Wright <wright@hicomb.hi.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1993 17:57:06 GMT

Paul D. Smith writes:

>Yesterday I was reading through "Algrorithms", Robert Sedgewick,
>Addison-Wesley Pub. Co, 1983. I was surprised to find that the algorithm
>on p. 265 for matching a string by scanning an NFA generated from a
>regular expression contains a couple of bugs. One is a whopper.

I think this book is now into a new edition. I used the earlier
edition for a course I had to teach on short notice back around 1986.
I was not at all impressed by it -- I found a discouragingly large
number of errors in it, and a fair amount of sloppiness.

I hope that the more recent edition is an improvement, but I haven't
gone back to check.

    -- David Wright, Hitachi Computer Products (America), Inc. Waltham, MA
          wright@hicomb.hi.com
[According to the LC listings, there is a 1988 edition, a 1990 "Algorithms
in C", a 1992 "Algorithms in C++", and a forthcoming 1993 "Algorithms in
Modula-3". They're all the same length, I have no idea how they other
differ other than the different computer languages. -John]