textbook or paper suggestions for course?

Alex Glockner <glockner@cosc.bsu.umd.edu>
Mon, 8 Mar 1993 17:16:49 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
textbook or paper suggestions for course? glockner@cosc.bsu.umd.edu (Alex Glockner) (1993-03-08)
Suggestions for a compilers course (summary) glockner@cosc.bsu.umd.edu (Alexander Glockner) (1993-03-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Alex Glockner <glockner@cosc.bsu.umd.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1993 17:16:49 GMT

Folks,
    I've been asked to teach the following grad course:

*********
COSC 661 Compiler Design and Construction II 3 credit hours

Continuation of COSC 561 (your run-of-the-mill one-semester
      undergrad compiler course; our students have non-CS backgrounds)

Advanced topics in compiler design and construction.
Automated compiler tools and compiler compilers.
Advanced code optimization techniques.
Role of compilers in natural language processing.
*********

The problem is...
my compiler skills are rudimentary (I've written a simple
compiler with a shift-reduce parser and no optimization, that's it)
and I have little or no idea on what truly is appropriate material for
this course. (The person who wrote the above course description is
long-gone; no help there.)

I could just teach "the rest of the the textbook"
        -- Fischer/LeBlanc in this case --
and give them a project using lex/yacc
        -- I made them hand-code the project in the 561 course --
but what else should I be giving these students?

The last topic has been addressed in the recent comp.compilers thread
"Natural Language Parser Wanted"; anything else come to mind?

thanks -- Alex

Alexander Glockner
Asst. Professor, Dept. of Computer Science
Bowie State University
glockner@cosc.bsu.umd.edu