C Compiler using source-to-source restructurer.

soohongk@usc.edu (Soohong Kim)
Wed, 24 Feb 1993 03:58:10 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
C Compiler using source-to-source restructurer. soohongk@usc.edu (1993-02-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: soohongk@usc.edu (Soohong Kim)
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1993 03:58:10 GMT

I am planning to build Parallelizing C Compiler for SNAP, which is MIMD
machine being built at USC.

One of choices of compiler models I am interested in is to use
"source-to-source parallelizing restructurer" such as Parafrase-2 and
PFC+. I want to use Parafrase-2 as a compiler-preprocessor.

Here's my draft!

    C ==> [RESTRUCTURER] ==> C' ==> [COMPILER] ==> machine code

C : Sequential C source code.
C' : Concurrent form of C source code.
machine code : Machine code for SNAP.
[RESTRUCTURER] : Source-to-source parallelizing restructurer.
[COMPILER] : Optimizing Compiler.

The problem is that Restructurer for C (C phase of Parafrase-2) is yet
working properly, although FORTRAN restructurer is doing a good job.

So, at this point, I want to build compiler for subset of C with the
current techniques of the FORTRAN compiler with restructurer, then broaden
the range of the source program.

Is there any research group who is building compilers (either for C or
FORTRAN) using source-to-source restructurer? I need your advice.

All comments are welcome.

Soohong Peter Kim soohongk@scf.usc.edu
Soohong Peter Kim Internet: soohongk@usc.edu
Department of Electrical Engineering Room: 222 in EE-Building
University of Southern California Phone: +1-213-740-9132
Los Angeles, CA 90089, USA