Re: Effectiveness of compilers today

kanze@us-es.sel.de (James Kanze)
Sat, 20 Feb 1993 14:04:00 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: Effectiveness of compilers today napi@cs.indiana.edu (mohd hanafiah abdullah) (1993-02-17)
Re: Effectiveness of compilers today moss@cs.cmu.edu (1993-02-18)
Re: Effectiveness of compilers today preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1993-02-18)
Re: Effectiveness of compilers today roth@helena.cs.rice.edu (1993-02-18)
Re: Effectiveness of compilers today pardo@cs.washington.edu (1993-02-19)
Re: Effectiveness of compilers today kjb@cgl.citri.edu.au (1993-02-19)
Re: Effectiveness of compilers today kanze@us-es.sel.de (1993-02-20)
Re: Effectiveness of compilers today tchannon@black.demon.co.uk (1993-02-19)
Re: Effectiveness of compilers today korz@cs.columbia.edu (1993-02-22)
Re: Effectiveness of compilers today henry@zoo.toronto.edu (1993-02-24)
Re: Effectiveness of compilers today lindsay+@cs.cmu.edu (1993-03-02)
Re: Effectiveness of compilers today preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1993-03-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: kanze@us-es.sel.de (James Kanze)
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1993 14:04:00 GMT

Joe Buck (jbuck@forney.berkeley.edu) writes:

|> [ about the Gnu superoptimizer]

The following code sequence was presented in the original article.

|> Faster 80x86 code than the standard cmpl/seta/and for
|> ecx = ((unsigned) eax > (unsigned) edx):
|> cmpl %eax,%edx
|> sbbl %ecx,%ecx
|> negl %ecx

An interesting point. This code sequence is a well known trick regularly
used by 8086 assembly programmers 10 years back. So it should hardly
require a super-optimizer to find it. In fact, PL/M86 regularly generated
such sequences, way back in 1979! (Actually, since PL/M defined FALSE as
0xff, it didn't need the final neg.) If my memory serves me right, this
was just a carry over from PL/M80 (earlier than 1976?).

So modern compilers require a "superoptimizer" just to obtain what was
very run-of-mill code 10 years ago? I wonder if this has something to do
with the fact that modern compilers are written by software shops (FSF,
AT&T, etc.), whereas the original PL/M was written by the chip
manufacturer. So 10 years ago, the compiler writers knew the target
machine intemately, whereas now, they try and find a general solution for
all machine architectures. Nevertheless, the above optimization is a win
on most conventional architectures, so there is no excuse for GNU (and
even less for Microsoft and Borland, who make strictly Intel compilers) to
not use it.

I suspect that where the assembler programmer gets the most wins is not
the really small sequences, but in the medium length stuff. And I also
suspect that assembly programming pays off more in unorthogonal
architectures (like the 80x86) than in orthogonal ones (like the NSC
32000).
--
James Kanze email: kanze@us-es.sel.de
GABI Software, Sarl., 8 rue du Faisan, F-67000 Strasbourg, France