SML-NJ used in winning ACM student poster project

kleinjf@nextwork.rose-hulman.edu (Joel F Klein)
Fri, 19 Feb 1993 04:41:23 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
SML-NJ used in winning ACM student poster project kleinjf@nextwork.rose-hulman.edu (1993-02-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: kleinjf@nextwork.rose-hulman.edu (Joel F Klein)
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1993 04:41:23 GMT

Where: ACM Computer Science Conference 1993, Indianapolis
Event: student research poster competition
Date: Wed 17 Feb

The second-place winning entry (undergrad division) was the Prizm Toybox,
an integrated programming environment, designed for use in introductory
computer science courses. The interpreter for this environment was coded
in SML-NJ, using SML-Lex and SML-Yacc for the lexer and parser. The
interpreter is for the Prizm language, a Pascal-like language designed to
reduce the learning curve for the non-programmer students who take
Rose-Hulman's CS100, Introduction to Comp Sci.

The product will probably be distributed with source code, but it is still
under development. We just wanted to make this announcement for its news
value, and to toot the horns of Dave MacQueen and Andrew Appel, as well as
our own. Our thanks to MacQueen and Appel for SML-NJ!

Todd R. Eigenschink and Joel F. Klein
Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology