Alpha - A Compiler Generator based on Attribute Grammars

Andreas Koschinsky <koschins@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Tue, 16 Feb 1993 21:28:42 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Alpha - A Compiler Generator based on Attribute Grammars koschins@cs.tu-berlin.de (Andreas Koschinsky) (1993-02-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Andreas Koschinsky <koschins@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1993 21:28:42 GMT

I have written a compiler generator. The generator is called Alpha and
uses attribute grammars as specification calculus. Alpha is the result of
a thesis at Technische Universitaet Berlin. I am looking for someone who
would like to test and use Alpha. I have written some compilers with Alpha
which work well.

Some words about Alpha. Alpha generates compilers from a compiler
specification. This specification describes a compiler in terminology of
attribute grammars. Parser and Scanner are generated by means of Bison and
Flex from the compiler specification. Alpha generates an ASE-evaluator
(Jazayeri and Walter). Attributes are divided into one-pass- and
multi-pass-attributes. The generated compiler stores instances of
one-pass-attributes in a stack and multi-pass-attributes in usual memory.
This saves much memory since 80-90% of the attributes of an attribute
grammar are one-pass-attributes. Alpha generates no parse tree and
optimizes the evaluation. Alpha does not include a back end generator.

If you are interested or you need more information, you can mail me. There
is a full documentation on the specification calculus and the internals of
Alpha. The documentation is in german since it is a thesis at a german
university.

Andreas Koschinsky
Email: koschins@cs.tu-berlin.de