Re: Compiler construction in C++ and OOD

vaillant@fermina.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Stefan Vaillant)
Mon, 8 Feb 1993 18:22:36 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler construction in C++ and OOD vivek@sequent.com (1993-02-03)
Re: Compiler construction in C++ and OOD cliffc@rice.edu (1993-02-04)
Re: Compiler construction in C++ and OOD vaillant@fermina.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (1993-02-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: vaillant@fermina.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Stefan Vaillant)
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1993 18:22:36 GMT

vivek@sequent.com (Vivek Buzruk) writes:
>I will be happy if any one tells whether any complete compiler is written
>in C++ either. Also in what way C++ is used, only as a better C or flavor
>of OOD.

Sather, an Eiffel dialect, is implemented with object-orientation in mind.
The compiler is written in Sather (of course), but IMHO it is worth having
a look at it, even if you are interesseted in C++.

The compiler has the following structure: The front-end is written in
yacc. The action-parts construct an abstract syntax tree. Each node of
this tree is an object and has an individual interface. For example, the
node which represents the IF-statement has the following attributes:

class COND_STMTOB is
      test: EXPREOB; -- reference to expression node
      then_part: LST_STMTOB; -- List of statements
      elsif_part:LST_STMTOB;
      else_part: LST_STMTOB;
end;

Every node (or object) has some methods for doing a semantic check and for
generating code. (This is not quite correct. I had only a quick look at
the source
  one year ago.)

You can obtain sather (incl. source code of the compiler) from
icsi-ftp.berkeley.edu.

IMHO this is not totally new, but clean and easy to understand.

You might also have a look at
    - the book of Rumbaugh et. all. "Object Oriented Modeling and Design".
        They have some examples with syntax trees representing
        expressions.
    - the Eiffel scanner/parser library.

Stefan Vaillant
vaillant@pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de