Re: SQL Interpreter

root%candle.uucp@bts.com (Bruce Momjian)
Thu, 28 Jan 1993 16:04:12 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
SQL Interpreter j0c1099@sigma.tamu.edu (1993-01-21)
Re: SQL Interpreter joshua@veritas.com (1993-01-25)
Re: SQL Interpreter root%candle.uucp@bts.com (1993-01-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: root%candle.uucp@bts.com (Bruce Momjian)
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1993 16:04:12 GMT

The moderator wrote:
:[There are several free SQL parsers, but no free interpreters that I know of.
:Perhaps an inexpensive PC database would do the trick. Even once the SQL
:is compiled, you need an index search and update engine to do the work.
: -John]

Joshua Levy (joshua@veritas.com) wrote:
: I know of a partial SQL interpreter which is either PD or freely
: redistributable. It is called shql and is written in bourne shell script.

John is correct. Parsing SQL is not much of a trick, especially if I can
do it in a bourne shell script. You need a database engine to carry out
the requests.

I have not discussed this with the author yet, but mbase(metalbase) is a
PD database ported to many platforms which would do the trick quite
nicely.

All someone would have to do is to tokenize and parse the SQL code (shql
may help as an example), and call mbase routines to do the manipulation.

I am surprised no one has done this before. We have lots of PD editors,
and a few good spread sheets, but few if any PD databases.
--
Bruce Momjian | 830 Blythe Avenue
root%candle.uucp@bts.com | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026