Re: Pascal validation suite wanted

mtxinu!sybase!dstephan@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
Wed, 13 Jan 1993 19:24:35 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Pascal validation suite wanted osycs@giac1.oscs.montana.edu (1993-01-09)
Re: Pascal validation suite wanted cmb@epcc.edinburgh.ac.uk (C M Brough) (1993-01-11)
Re: Pascal validation suite wanted mtxinu!sybase!dstephan@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (1993-01-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: mtxinu!sybase!dstephan@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1993 19:24:35 GMT

Our moderator writes:
|> [Are there any actual ISO Pascal compilers around? -John]

The quick answer is yes, VAX Pascal.
>From the VAX Pascal Reference Manual (section 1.1.1):

The unextended Pascal standards are as follows:

o American National Standard ANSI/IEEE770X3.97-1983 (ANSI)
o International Standard ISO 7185-1983(E) (ISO)

VAX Pascal accepts programs that comply to either standard. In the VAX
Pascal documentation set, the term "unextended Pascal" applies to both the
ANSI and ISO standards.

VAX Pascal contains FIPS-109 (Federal Information Processing Standard)
validation support.

The ISO standard is divided into two levels of standardization: Level 0
and Level 1. An example of a technical difference between the ANSI
standard and the ISO standard is that ANSI does not include conformant
arrays, while ISO standard Level 0 does not, but Level 1 does.

VAX Pascal has passed the validation suite for Pascal compilers. It
received a CLASS A certificate for both levels of the ISO standard as well
as the ANSI standard. CLASS A certificates are given to compilers with a
fully conforming implementation.

Dean.
[I also see that IBM mainframe VS Pascal compilers with the ANSI and ISO
standards. -John]