Compiler Construction in Ada

jipping@cs.hope.edu (Mike Jipping)
Thu, 7 Jan 1993 12:42:45 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler Construction in Ada jipping@cs.hope.edu (1993-01-07)
Compiler Construction in Ada brent@rcx1.ssd.csd.harris.com (1993-01-07)
Re: Compiler Construction in Ada davidm@questor.rational.com (1993-01-07)
Re: Compiler Construction in Ada mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (1993-01-07)
Re: Compiler Construction in Ada brent@rcx1.ssd.csd.harris.com (1993-01-08)
Re: Compiler Construction in Ada crigler@osceola.cs.ucf.edu (1993-01-08)
Re: Compiler Construction in Ada robichau@lambda.msfc.nasa.gov (1993-01-08)

Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada,comp.compilers
From: jipping@cs.hope.edu (Mike Jipping)
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1993 12:42:45 GMT

I'm looking at teaching Construction in the Spring semester. The course
includes writing a compiler (all the way through code generation for a
SPARC machine) for a language I specify. In the past, we have had a
Pascal compiler, and the class has used Pascal to write their projects.

Now the Pascal compiler is gone. And I'm looking for the appropriate
language in which to write the compiler for the project. The language and
the project require the student to write a top-down, recursive descent
parsing compiler. Therefore, a language allowing nested subprogram
definition would be very preferrable.

We have what looks like a good Ada compiler (from Meridian) for the Sun
workstations. So I'd like to use Ada to write the compiler.

My question(s): is there any pitfalls to look out for here? has any one
done this? what special disadvantages are there here?

Thanks in advance.

            Mike Jipping
            Hope College Department of Computer Science
            jipping@cs.hope.edu (BITNET: JIPPING@HOPE)
[I'd use whatever language had the best debugging support. I've written
recursive descent code in C and (a while ago) in Fortran without any
trouble. -John]