Re: Input buffer overflow in lex...

richw@sol.camb.inmet.com (Richard Wagner)
Wed, 6 Jan 1993 19:57:37 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Input buffer overflow in lex przemek@viewlogic.com (1993-01-04)
Re: Input buffer overflow in lex... johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) (1993-01-05)
Re: Input buffer overflow in lex... vern@daffy.ee.lbl.gov (1993-01-05)
Re: Input buffer overflow in lex... richw@sol.camb.inmet.com (1993-01-06)
Re: Input buffer overflow in lex... finger@convex.com (1993-01-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: richw@sol.camb.inmet.com (Richard Wagner)
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1993 19:57:37 GMT

In the version of "lex" I use, the generated lexer gets its input via an
"input" macro. One solution, which may be viewed as a "kludge" or "hack",
is to "#undef" the default macro and "#define" another with the same
functionality, but which also checks for overflow (and possibly takes some
recovery action, like copy what's in the buffer to an "infinitely" long
linked-list of buffers).

For example:

        %{
        #undef input

        #define usual_input_macro() (...text of default "input" definition...)

        #define input() ( \
('\0' != *(yytext + YYLMAX - 1)) \
? (token_too_long()) \
: usual_input_macro() \
)

        #define token_too_long() (...recovery action...)

:

Disclaimer: I've never tried this.

Lets hope I'm not being blind to some reason this can't work. I
personally prefer this than just bumping YYLMAX, which may be fine,
practically speaking, but still nags in that it just begs the question.

Hope this helps,

Rich Wagner
Intermetrics, Inc.
[I still think you're better off writing your lexer so you don't get
enormous tokens. -John]