Re: Path flow and Control Flow Problems (Preston Briggs)
Thu, 10 Dec 1992 16:22:48 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Path flow and Control Flow Problems ravi@thor.ece.uc.EDU (1992-12-09)
Re: Path flow and Control Flow Problems (1992-12-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (Preston Briggs)
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1992 16:22:48 GMT

ravi@thor.ece.uc.EDU (Ravishankar) writes:
>I am trying to find out if there are any references on Path analysis of
>Control Flow Graphs. Given a source program ( say, in a language like
>VHDL ), the first step that I am concerned with is the generation the
>Control Flow Graph for the given description

Building the control-flow graph for a given routine is described in many
books on compiler construction. The usual reference is

Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools
Aho, Sethi, and Ullman
Addison-Wesley, 1986

Probably Chapter 8, 9, and 10 will help most.

>After the generation of the Control Flow graph, I would have to do an
>analysis and enumerate the set of all "fesable" paths that can be taken
>from the beggining to the end of the program.

You can't simply enumerate all the paths, since loops allow an infinite
number of paths. For example,

procedure zap(integer i);
while i > 0 do
i = i - 1

We can't write down all the paths without knowing something about the
value of "i".

On the other hand, you could give a summary of the possible paths, using,
for example, regular expressions.

    title="Summarizing Graphs by Regular Expressions",
    author="Mark Wegman",
    booktitle=popl10, % proceedings of POPL 10

Preston Briggs