Re: Looking for code to quickly build DFSAs from Reg Exprs

markh@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Mark)
Sat, 5 Dec 1992 05:17:07 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Looking for code to quickly build DFSAs from Reg Exprs jhummel@esp.ICS.UCI.EDU (Joseph Edward Hummel) (1992-12-04)
Re: Looking for code to quickly build DFSAs from Reg Exprs markh@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (1992-12-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: markh@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Mark)
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1992 05:17:07 GMT

Joseph Edward Hummel <jhummel@esp.ICS.UCI.EDU> writes:
>Hello. I'm looking for code that builds FSAs from regular expressions.
>However, I also need to perform intersection and complementation
>of regular expressions, which seems to imply that DFSAs are ultimately
>needed...

      I have a RE to FSA converter that generates highly intuitive automata,
based on an equational approach using an algorithm that evolved from an
algorithm I use by hand (which is why the results are intuitive).

      This program is small but effective, and comes complete with
documentation on the underlying theory of operation. It is intended to be
part of a larger project (a parser generator for EBNF-like grammars),
which I also have some notes on.

      This package will be located at the ftp site csd4.csd.uwm.edu in the
directory /pub/regex by the time you see this article.