compiler, for OO language, which produces p-code? (Ciaran McHale)
Fri, 4 Dec 1992 16:15:25 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
compiler, for OO language, which produces p-code? (1992-12-04)
compiler, for oo lang (Elliott Chapin) (1992-12-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.object,comp.compilers
From: (Ciaran McHale)
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1992 16:15:25 GMT

I am looking for a compiler for an object-oriented language which
generates (or can be easily modified to generate) some type of interpreted
code. Does anybdoy know of such a thing?

If you are interested in why I want such a compiler, the answer follows...

[If you are not interested then skip the rest of this article]

For my PhD, I am developing a synchronisation mechansism which is suitable
for object-oriented languages. Having done most of the design work, I now
want to extend an existing OO language (it does not matter too much which
language I extend) with my synchronisation mehanism and add some
concurrency mechanism (cobegin/coend, fork or whatever) to test it out.

I think it would be less trouble to generate code for a hypothetical
machine (and write/modify an interpreter for this code) than to
generate code for a specific architecture.

A disadvantage of the interpreted approach is slower execution speed
and no possibility of making using of multiple CPUs. However, by
spending less time getting the intepreted language to work I will have
more time to concentrate on other issues of more interest to
me---notably optimisation-by-transformation techniques of the
synchronistion code.

Ciaran McHale (
Department of Computer Science, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland.
Telephone: +353-1-7021539 FAX: +353-1-6772204
[I'd write a preprocessor which identified your constructs and turned them
into procedure calls or other lower level code. -John]