Re: And speaking of fast compilers...

pardo@cs.washington.edu (David Keppel)
Tue, 17 Nov 1992 19:54:32 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
And speaking of fast compilers... pardo@cs.washington.edu (1992-11-12)
Re: And speaking of fast compilers... sasdrf@unx.sas.com (1992-11-16)
Re: And speaking of fast compilers... preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1992-11-17)
Re: And speaking of fast compilers... cheryl@gallant.apple.com (1992-11-17)
Re: And speaking of fast compilers... pardo@cs.washington.edu (1992-11-17)
Re: And speaking of fast compilers... pardo@cs.washington.edu (1992-11-23)
Re: And speaking of fast compilers... macrakis@osf.org (1992-11-24)
Re: And speaking of fast compilers... preston@miranda.cs.rice.edu (1992-12-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: pardo@cs.washington.edu (David Keppel)
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1992 19:54:32 GMT

sasdrf@unx.sas.com (Dave Frederick) writes:
>[Had the Brand X Ada compiler passed validation?
> A lot of optimizations are compile-time range and bounds checks.]

I do not know if the Brand X compiler was validated. As the moderator
points out, compiling to C does not imply any loss of type safety (for
that matter, the first validated Ada system was an interpreter...), so it
may well be a validated compiler.

The IBM PL.8 compiler removed a substantial number of the runtime range
and bound checks with only a modest increase in the compile time (the
range-checked code was still 5-10% slower than unchecked code). So I
doubt that removing bound checks explains why the compiler was slow,
especially given that the compilation was slow (40 minutes v. 6) even with
the slower compiler's optimization OFF.

%A Marc Auslander
%A Martin Hopkins
%T An Overview of the PL.8 Compiler
%P 22-31
%J Proceedings of the ACM SIGPLAN '82 Syumposium on Compiler
Construction
%D June 1982
%P 22-31

%A Rajiv Gupta
%T A Fresh Look at Optimizing Array Bound Checking
%J Proceedings of the ACM SIGPLAN '90 conference on Programming
Language Design and Implementation.
%D June 1990
%P 272

And I haven't read it, but it's the common citation:

%A V. Markstein
%A J. Cocke
%A P. Markstein
%T Optimization of Range Checking
%J Proceedings of the ACM SIGPLAN '82 Syumposium on Compiler
Construction

;-D oN ( Bound checked and gaggled ) Pardo
[The PL.8 range checking was quite innovative. They patented it. -John]