Two Level Grammars

Trevor Jenkins <>
Thu, 12 Nov 1992 20:43:12 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Two Level Grammars (Lee Leitner) (1992-11-09)
Re: Two Level Grammars (1992-11-11)
Re: Two Level Grammars (1992-11-12)
Two Level Grammars (Trevor Jenkins) (1992-11-12)
Re: Two Level Grammars (1992-11-13)
Re: Two Level Grammars (1992-11-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Trevor Jenkins <>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1992 20:43:12 GMT

Lee Leitner ( writes:

> I am looking for some reference sources for "two level Grammars" and "Van
> Wijngaarden form" grammars.

You could try "Grammars for programming langauges" by Cleaveland and
Uzgalis published by Elsevier. Probably now long out-of-print but well
worth the read. It was part of the same series as the other now
out-of-print seminal book "The Design of an optimising compiler" by Wulf
et al. Whilst I have a copy of the former I can't find it to give you the
ISBN and other publication data I covet a copy of the latter to complete
my collection.

[From memory] Cleaveland and Uzgalis set out to demonstrate that a
two-level grammar was adequate to define run-time semantics. They thought
that this could be shown by a simple example; that simple example became
the aforementioned book.

I have in my possesion an unpublished and sadly unnamed document that
attempts to describe the Van Wijngaarden grammar for Algol-68. Like the
C&U book it's missing from my book case. If I find it I'll post details
and perhaps the author(s) could identify themselves.

Regards, Trevor.
Trevor Jenkins
134 Frankland Rd, Croxley Green, Rickmansworth, WD3 3AU, England
email: radio: G6AJG
phone: +44 (0)923 776436