Re: Is this a new idea?

clyde@hitech.com.au (Clyde Smith-Stubbs)
Mon, 2 Nov 1992 10:25:44 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Is this a new idea? M.J.Landzaat@fel.tno.nl (1992-10-28)
Re: Is this a new idea? bazyar@csn.org (1992-10-31)
Re: Is this a new idea? clyde@hitech.com.au (1992-11-02)
Re: Is this a new idea? pcwu@csie.nctu.edu.tw (1992-11-03)
Re: Is this a new idea? ryer@inmet.camb.inmet.com (1992-11-03)
Re: Is this a new idea? byron@netapp.com (Byron Rakitzis) (1992-11-04)
Re: Is this a new idea? ttk@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (1992-11-04)
Re: Is this a new idea? dak@sq.sq.com (1992-11-04)
Re: Is this a new idea? dnl@macsch.com (1992-11-04)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: clyde@hitech.com.au (Clyde Smith-Stubbs)
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1992 10:25:44 GMT

M.J.Landzaat@fel.tno.nl (Maarten Landzaat) writes:
>[a compiler] that during my editing, reads the program text I typed in so
>far, and tries to compile and link it as much as it can in the background,
>with low priority so nobody gets bad response.

I can see several reasons why something like this would be of limited
value:

If you make an error near the top of the file, what do you want it to do;
notify you immediately (thus interrupting your train of thought), or give
up and wait till you type 'cc'? If the second, the advantage is lost
anyway, the first I would find extremely counter-productive.

what about multi-module programs?

Lastly, the speed at which my desktop machine (Sparc SLC - not exactly
state of the art) compiles far exceeds the rate at which I can input
code. Most compile time is taken by large programs that have just had
a small modification, and the compilation could probably not proceed very
far until I finish the mods anyway.
--
  Clyde Smith-Stubbs | HI-TECH Software, | Voice: +61 7 300 5011
  clyde@hitech.com.au | P.O. Box 103, Alderley, | Fax: +61 7 300 5246