Re: Syntax of Comments (was: language design tradeoffs)

Bruce.Hoult@bbs.actrix.gen.nz
Mon, 5 Oct 1992 15:25:03 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: Syntax of Comments (was: language design tradeoffs) beshers@hks.com (1992-09-24)
Re: Syntax of Comments (was: language design tradeoffs) macrakis@osf.org (1992-09-24)
Re: Syntax of Comments (was: language design tradeoffs) fjh@munta.cs.mu.OZ.AU (1992-09-24)
Re: Syntax of Comments (was: language design tradeoffs) delacour@parc.xerox.com (Vincent Delacour) (1992-09-24)
Re: Syntax of Comments (was: language design tradeoffs) macrakis@osf.org (1992-09-25)
Re: Syntax of Comments (was: language design tradeoffs) de19@umail.umd.edu (1992-10-04)
Re: Syntax of Comments (was: language design tradeoffs) Bruce.Hoult@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (1992-10-05)
Re: Syntax of Comments (was: language design tradeoffs) tmb@arolla.idiap.ch (1992-10-06)
Re: Syntax of Comments (was: language design tradeoffs) liblit@cs.psu.edu (1992-10-06)
Re: Syntax of Comments (was: language design tradeoffs) pcbeard@ucdavis.edu (1992-10-06)
Re: Syntax of Comments (was: language design tradeoffs) kendall@centerline.com (1992-10-07)
Re: Syntax of Comments (was: language design tradeoffs) drw@euclid.mit.edu (1992-10-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.human-factors
From: Bruce.Hoult@bbs.actrix.gen.nz
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1992 15:25:03 GMT

de19@umail.umd.edu (Dana S Emery) writes:
> I'm surprised no one has suggested coloration or styleing to reflect
> semantics.
>
> It would be simple enough for a pretty printer to use
> font/italics/color/background shadeing for comments, and that would
> delineate commented out code in an emphatic way. Of course, one has to
> allow the programmer to spec the styling.

The code browsing and editing environment I use on the Mac, "Object
Master" does just that. (It does a lot more besides, but this isn't the
time to go into it all... I'll just say that it provides a smalltalk-like
browser and controls Apple's MPW compilers via AppleEvents)

It understands the syntax of Object Pascal, C++ and (Object) Modula-2 and
lets the user assign a different colour and style to each syntatic
element. You can create some extremely ugly things, and I don't find the
choice of syntatic elements entirely ideal (at least in C++ -- it seems to
be better in Pascal), but it do find that I like to make keywords bolded
and a medium gray (for about the same overall optical impact, but a
different "feel") and comments red.
--
Bruce.Hoult@bbs.actrix.gen.nz Twisted pair: +64 4 477 2116
BIX: brucehoult Last Resort: PO Box 4145 Wellington, NZ