Hash codes for min-matching?

mcs@phobos.caltech.edu (Martin Shepherd)
Wed, 23 Sep 1992 21:22:07 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Hash codes for min-matching? mcs@phobos.caltech.edu (1992-09-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: mcs@phobos.caltech.edu (Martin Shepherd)
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1992 21:22:07 GMT

In the books and articles that I have read on the subject, I have not seen
a symbol-table hashing code that supported minimum-matching of
identifiers. The simplest (IMHO) way to support min-match is to maintain
a sorted symbol-table and locate identifiers using a binary search. This
has the advantage that all ambiguous identifiers are adjacent in the table
and can be easily listed when there is a conflict.

My question: Is there a faster, more efficient way to do this using
hashing?

Martin Shepherd (mcs@phobos.caltech.edu)
[I've seen occasional papers on order-preserving hashing, but nothing that
seemed very exciting. You might be able to use a fancier sorted structure,
e.g. a trie or a B-tree. -John]