Generating code for debugger (-g option) (Steve Simmons)
Thu, 17 Sep 1992 13:05:53 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Generating code for debugger (-g option). (1992-09-16)
Generating code for debugger (-g option) (1992-09-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (Steve Simmons)
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1992 13:05:53 GMT

> I wonder what are the issues involved when a compiler emits code to be
> used by a debugger. For instance, if the symbol table
> (compile-time-environment) is to be passed down, then is there an
> established way of representing the symbol table; as well as other
> debugger related info?

The code generation by the compiler is usually the same as without a "-g"
switch. The problems lie in generating the corresponding symbolic
information for tracing the generated code back to the original source
back to the original source.

SIGPLAN's PLDI '92 conference proceeding has a paper that I co-authored on
how Convex's debugger CXdb tracks optimizations.

Also, stabs and dwarf have extremely well defined interfaces for
non-optimized code. In fact, they support more languages with their
interface. Their symbol tables tend to be the union of features in all

Steve Simmons