Re: Abstract Interpretation Query

vugranam@pike.ee.mcgill.ca (Vugranam Chakravarthy Sreedhar)
Sat, 5 Sep 1992 09:00:51 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Abstract Interpretation Query ashok@trddc.ernet.in (Ashok Sreenivas) (1992-09-04)
Re: Abstract Interpretation Query vugranam@pike.ee.mcgill.ca (1992-09-05)
Re: Abstract Interpretation Query masticol@cadenza.rutgers.edu (1992-09-06)
Re: Abstract Interpretation Query deutsch+@cs.cmu.edu (1992-09-06)
Re: Abstract Interpretation Query chow@sp1.csrd.uiuc.edu (1992-09-06)
re: Abstract Interpretation Query ptb@eng.cam.ac.uk (P.T. Breuer) (1992-09-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: vugranam@pike.ee.mcgill.ca (Vugranam Chakravarthy Sreedhar)
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1992 09:00:51 GMT

Ashok Sreenivas <ashok@trddc.ernet.in> writes:
>I am working on trying to formalise program analyses and transformations. In
>this connection, I have come across a technique called Abstract
>Interpretation. So far, I've only seen a lot of theory regarding it, and
>some applications to functional and logic languages.

Yes. Recent Int. Conf. on Comp. Languages (1992) was mainly
devoted to Abstract Interpretation. The seminal paper was actually
targeted to imperative programs (Cousant and Cousant, POPL'78, I am right!!).
Recently the method was applied to functional/logic programming.

>What I want to know is: has anybody applied it to everyday imperative
>languages in real life (i.e. to languages like Pascal, C, and
>analyses like type analysis, data flow analysis etc.)?

AI, although nice, is expensive in terms of time and space. I doubt if the
concept is being used in any production compilers. There are some research
experience on AI in various forms. Keshav Pingali at Cornell (POPL'90/91)
uses AI for dataflow analysis. Z. Ammarguellat and W. L. Harrison
III(Sigplan PLDI'90) use AI for recognizing recurrence relations. Recent
Intl. Conf. on Comp. Lang. has a on paper on pointer analyses based on AI.

Sreedhar