Possible lex bug?

masticol@cadenza.rutgers.edu (Steve Masticola)
Wed, 2 Sep 1992 19:49:29 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Possible lex bug? masticol@cadenza.rutgers.edu (1992-09-02)
Re: Possible lex bug? al@nmt.edu (1992-09-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: masticol@cadenza.rutgers.edu (Steve Masticola)
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1992 19:49:29 GMT

Has anyone else come across the following possible bug in lex? I'd
like to ignore certain characters, including vertical tab (\v,
^K, \013, etc.) When I included the line

[ \v\f\r\t] ;

in the source file, vertical tabs fell through. However,

[ ^K\f\r\t] ;

or

[ \013\f\r\t] ;

works. I'm not thrilled about this, though, because it means
hard-coding a control character or ASCII code.

I'm running Sun's version of lex on a Sparc-2, in case it makes a
difference, but another site has reported the same problem. I don't
know what equipment they have there.

Thanks for any help!

- Steve (masticol@cs.rutgers.edu).
[AT&T lex has a lot of bugs, I can't say I'm surprised to hear about
another one. Flex handles it correctly. -John]