Re: Large-space GC (Andy Hisgen)
Thu, 20 Aug 1992 22:07:18 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Large-space GC (1992-08-20)
Re: Large-space GC (1992-08-20)
Re: Large-space GC kandt@ai-titania.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (1992-08-21)
Re: Large-space GC (1992-08-24)
Re: Large-space GC (1992-08-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (Andy Hisgen)
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1992 22:07:18 GMT

In the 70's, someone at MIT, I believe Peter Bishop, did a PhD
dissertation on Garbage Collection in Very Large Address Spaces. My
recollection is a little hazy, but persistent and long-lived storage was a
major issue. I believe his work is closest to your suggestion of "Keep
summary info for a segment, where the summary info says what other
segments have pointers in to the segment and what other segments are
pointed to by the segment." (But don't take my word for it).

Andy Hisgen