8086 object code

bromage@mullauna.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Andrew Bromage)
Wed, 12 Aug 1992 01:28:14 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
8086 object code bromage@mullauna.cs.mu.OZ.AU (1992-08-12)
Re: 8086 object code ejy@hrmsc.att.com (1992-08-13)
Re: 8086 object code choup@CGRB.ORST.EDU (1992-08-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.os.msdos.programmer
From: bromage@mullauna.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Andrew Bromage)
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1992 01:28:14 GMT

I am trying to write a code generator for an 8086-family chip.

Intel has an object module format especially designed for this chip, which
would be the logical choice for relocatable code. I remember seeing a
description of this in the MS-DOS Programmers Reference 3.2, which is
going back a few years now, but seems to have been left out of V5.0, which
is the current release.

I believe that the format is also described in the MS-DOS Encyclopaedia,
but my opinion is that this is not worth buying for one chapter (the price
in Oz is very expensive).

Does anybody know where I can get a copy of the specification?

Thanks in advance etc.

bromage@mullauna.cs.mu.oz.au
[I have an old Intel document that describes the format, but Microsoft has
added a lot to Intel's original spec to support fancy debuggers and library
systems. -John]