re: finding use-def and def-use chains

uday@kailash.cse.iitb.ernet.in (Uday P Khedkar)
Wed, 5 Aug 1992 18:15:25 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
def-use and use-def chain... sreedhar@flo.cs.mcgill.ca (V.C. Sreedhar) (1992-07-12)
re: finding use-def and def-use chains uday@kailash.cse.iitb.ernet.in (1992-08-05)
Re: finding use-def and def-use chains preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1992-08-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: uday@kailash.cse.iitb.ernet.in (Uday P Khedkar)
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1992 18:15:25 GMT

Recently there were some articles which refered to Joshi-Dhamdhere
algorithm for Composite Hoisting and Strength Reduction. This is an old
paper and a new version of the same work was published in 1989. It seems
that researchers are unware of this later developement, hence I am posting
the reference:

@article{nchsa,
author = {D. M. Dhamdhere},
title = {A new algorithm for composite hoisting and strength reduction
optimization},
journal = {International Journal of Computer Mathematics},
volume = 27,
number = 1,
pages = {1--14},
year = 1989
}

However, this too is an old work (this is 1992 :-)); Some further work is
in progress at IIT Bombay. A new paper which eliminates some of the
drawbacks of nchsa(1989) is under preparation.

Uday Khedeker,
Dept. of Computer Science and Engg.
IIT Bombay (India).

P.S. : Sometime back I had posted an article to gather information on
      the use of bidirectional data flow problems in production compilers.
      I got only one reply from Bill Leonard of Harris Computer Systems
      Division which mentioned that the Harris Night Hawk compilers for C,
      FORTRAN, and Ada use the Morel-Renvoise algorithm for CSE detection.
      Are the bidirectional folks not tuned on, or is it that the interest
      in bidirectional flows is its infacy ??? :-(