Re: Problems with f2c (Henry Spencer)
Wed, 29 Jul 1992 22:07:14 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Problems with f2c (1992-07-29)
Re: Problems with f2c (1992-07-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (Henry Spencer)
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1992 22:07:14 GMT

In article 92-07-105 writes:
>I am unhappy with how f2c hands PARAMETER statements...
>[the resulting C isn't too readable]

This is really a fundamental consequence of f2c's objectives: it is not
meant to produce good-looking C code. In the opinion of the authors, as
expressed in their documentation, fully automatic translation to clean,
maintainable C was impractical, so they didn't try. Changing this is
going to require much more than just a fix for PARAMETER handling, I would

Does anybody know of any more recent work on getting readable code out of
fully-automatic language translation? (Fully automatic only, please;
semi-automatic systems that can do it with human help have been around
since before f2c.)
Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology, utzoo!henry
[The commercial Fortran to C translators such as Promula and For-C try a lot
harder than f2c does to produce legible Fortran. -John]